Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Occupy Jesus


Remember the last time you were in a public place and saw someone that you knew and you know that they saw you, but they did not acknowledge your presence? They had the audacity to act like you were not even there! After leaving you were quickly on the phone calling your spouse or a close friend to tell them of the terrible injustice that had been thrust upon you! Why, they did not even acknowledge my existence...well, hmm, well, I NEVER!
The only thing that I know to say is..."well you should some time." I apologize for that little outburst.
I have to confess that every time something like that happens to me...my heart and mind go to Hosea 6:6!  “For I desire steadfast love and not sacrifice, the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.” The NIV puts it this way..."For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings."


After Jesus called Matthew the tax collector to follow HIM the religious leaders questioned the disciples, wondering why Jesus would associate with sinners...Jesus quoted Hosea 6:6. In Matt 9:13 Jesus tells them to "Go and learn what this means, ‘I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.’ For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.” Another time Jesus is questioned about breaking the Sabbath in Matt 12:7, and HE gives them the same answer...7 And if you had known what this means, ‘I desire mercy, and not sacrifice,’ you would not have condemned the guiltless.


Since God gave us this Word in Hosea 6:6 and God the Son repeated it twice I believe that this is worthy of our prayerful meditation. Jesus points out that God is looking for a love for God and for people...the two greatest commandments. HE wants our love over our service or sacrifice...HE knows if our heart is right in love, in powerful affections, and in devotion to God that service and sacrifice will pour from the overflow of the surrendered life in Christ!  HE also knows that the service and sacrifice that pours out of the surrendered life in Christ will be radical, life-changing, and life-transforming.
Consider, if you a mere creature feel slighted when you are not acknowledged...HOW GREAT IS THE INJUSTICE WHEN CREATURES DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE THE PRESENCE OF THEIR CREATOR? There is great guilt for every image bearer of the Triune God. I believe that Romans 1:20 makes that clear..."For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse."
My people are being destroyed because they don’t know me. Since you priests refuse to know me, I refuse to recognize you as my priests. Since you have forgotten the laws of your God, I will forget to bless your children.” (Hosea 4:6)
They ask a piece of wood for advice! They think a stick can tell them the future! Longing after idols has made them foolish. They have played the prostitute, serving other gods and deserting their God. (Hosea 4:12)
We begin with knowing HIM, pursuing HIM, seeking HIM, hungering and thirsting for righteousness and then out of that intimate relationship with our Heavenly Father He sends us out in sacrificial service.  We know Him because the Lamb of God took away our sins and we are sent out into the world by the Lion of the Tribe of Judah with the boldness of a lion (Pro. 28:1).
And those who know your name put their trust in you, for you, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek you.” (Psalm 9:10)
Seeking to occupy HIM together!
m

No comments:

Post a Comment