Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Knowing Yahweh

Why should we pursue Yahweh?  Why should we want to know HIM?
There is the negative side to the answer and a glorious side to the answer.  Consider the words of the prophet Hosea.
My people are being destroyed because they don’t know me. Since you priests refuse to know me, I refuse to recognize you as my priests. Since you have forgotten the laws of your God, I will forget to bless your children.” (Hosea 4:6)
They ask a piece of wood for advice! They think a stick can tell them the future! Longing after idols has made them foolish. They have played the prostitute, serving other gods and deserting their God. (Hosea 4:12)
In Hosea 6 God tells us what He desires, “For I desire steadfast love and not sacrifice, the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.” The NIV puts it this way..."For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, andacknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings."  Jesus quoted Hosea 6:6  and in Matt 9:13 Jesus tells them to "Go and learn what this means, ‘I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.’ For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.” Another time Jesus is questioned about breaking the Sabbath in Matt 12:7, and HE gives them the same answer... And if you had known what this means, ‘I desire mercy, and not sacrifice,’ you would not have condemned the guiltless.
 What is the positive side?  What is the most glorious good that comes from pursuing HIM?  Is it adoption, forgiveness, reconciliation, redemption, justification, sanctification...all of these are infinitely glorious, but they are a means to something or someone else!  Ponder the words of David in the Psalms,  “Hear, O Lord, when I cry aloud; be gracious to me and answer me! You have said, “Seek my face.” My heart says to you, “Your face, Lord, do I seek.” (Psalm 27:7–8)  God the Father invites David to seek His face, meaning seek His presence.  Now listen to Jesus High Priestly prayer in John 17,  “Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.” (John 17:24)

I have manifested your name to the people whom you gave me out of the world. Yours they were, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word.” (John 17:6)  

Put on your new nature, and be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and become like him. (Colossians 3:10)  Beloved, we are God’s children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is.” (1 John 3:2)  Is the glorious side that we are given adoption, forgiveness, reconciliation, redemption, justification, and sanctification in HIM?  It is through these that we are able to behold the Lamb of God, to look unto Jesus the Author and finisher of our faith...it is through these that we behold HIM and become like HIM.  One Pastor puts it like this, "beholding is becoming."  Gaze upon His glorious face through His Word, through knowing HIM by HIS glorious names.
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.” (2 Corinthians 5:17)
And those who know your name put their trust in you, for you, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek you.” (Psalm 9:10)
I found this video on Youtube that puts the names of God with one of my favorite songs by Third Day, Show Me Your Glory.  I pray that you will be blessed as you pursue Him through HIS names.
Pursuing HIM together!
m

No comments:

Post a Comment